Skip to main content

Praise Psalms: a children's sermon

This children's story on praise Psalms using Ps 107 breaks several of my "How To" rules for children's stories because I used the long children's story itself as the sermon and the rest of the worship service was use for reading and creative interaction with various Psalms of praise.

_______

What’s a Psalm?

  • Poem or song 
  • Talking to God or about God
  • Collection of them in the Bible

A couple weeks ago Hank talked about Vengeance Psalms where people told God how angry they were, and Joe lifted weights, and then we wrote or drew on pieces of paper. 

What other types of emotions do you think people might write or sing to God in the Psalms?

  • Highest joy
  • Lowest sadness
  • Begging God for help
  • Praise
  • Telling God Thanks


We have room to share our whole self with God no matter what our emotions are if we are angry or sad or happy. The people who wrote the Bible did! Whether it was one person, or a whole church.

I was thinking about Thanksgiving this week. We can be thankful to God for all the amazing things God has given us-- like bodies, and families, and food, and life, and flowers-- we can be Thankful no matter if we feel happy or sad or scared or angry. We can still give God Thanks. 

Even when Abby has a sad day at school she says, “Thank you, Mama,” at supper for feeding her. And when Ellie has a really amazing day at school she says, “Thank you, Mama” when I read her a book. Right?

SO, How do we give Thanks to God?

  • Prayer
  • Offering 
  • Singing
  • Following God’s instructions


I want to try 4 ways to give thanks today. Can you help me?

Listen first to the 4 ways.
Still bodies
Moving bodies
Quiet voices
Loud voices

First, let’s try really still bodies. Let’s spread out and bow before God. Try feeling very Thankful in your heart. We can do this any time we pray.

Okay, the first way to give thanks to God was still bodies. In a second, let’s try moving bodies. In a minute I am going to read part of a Thanksgiving Psalm, #107, and we are going to use our bodies to praise, just like the people in the Psalm.

First let’s practice the actions

Travel in ships: row
Carry
Witness
Windstorm
Reach up
Drop
Sway and stagger
Cry out (in distress)
Become calm
Rejoice
Give thanks



Psalm 107 23-31
Some traveled on the sea in ships,
and carried cargo over the vast waters.

They witnessed the acts of the Lord,
his amazing feats on the deep water.

He gave the order for a windstorm,
and it stirred up the waves of the sea.

They reached up to the sky,
then dropped into the depths.
The sailors’ strength left them because the danger was so great.

They swayed and staggered like a drunk,
and all their skill proved ineffective.

They cried out to the Lord in their distress;
he delivered them from their troubles. 

He calmed the storm,
and the waves grew silent.

The sailors rejoiced because the waves grew quiet,
and he led them to the harbor they desired.

Let them give thanks to the Lord for his loyal love,
and for the amazing things he has done for people!

Come back and sit. CALM.

Okay, we tried the first two ways to thank God: still bodies and moving bodies. Let’s try the last 2 ways: quiet voice and loud voice.

Ethan is going to come up for us and play the guitar when we are ready. This is the chorus to a song. When we are singing if you want to use your bodies and raise your hands or dance you can do that. 
Whisper together
Say  together
Sing together
Sing louder together
Sing really loud together

Every blessing You pour out I'll
Turn back to praise
And when the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name


I want to pray together. Repeat after me.
God, thank you…
For loving us…
Help us…
Follow you...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My body has forgotten how to cry

My body has forgotten how to cry. I mean, I regularly tear up, I’m not a monster. But to cry, actually let the tears slip down my cheeks, sob, any actual catharsis, no. I cried at the beginning of last summer. It was the last day my family was worshipping at the church where we had attended for 11 years, where I had been the youth pastor, where my girls were born, with the people who rebuilt my house after the fire . It was also the last Sunday some of our best friends would be there. They were moving to Iowa. I cried from the moment worship began and all through the carry-in meal. I cried as I told them, “Thank you for allowing me to help raise your children and for helping me to raise mine.” That was the last time. Before that, I cried twice in the fall of 2018: both pretty intense circumstances. But, generally, the tears don’t come. They ball into a painful pressure at the top of my sternum. (Yes, I am aware that’s the heart chakra.) The world feels like it’s falling down. I have n

Exodus 17 Readers’ Theatre

The OT scripture this week for Lent 3 Year A is the beginning of Exodus 17. The Israelites are thirsty and need to drink water after all the manna they have eaten in Exodus 16. The amount of dialogue in this text lends itself easily to an interactive reading. Narrator : The Israelites left the western Sinai desert. They traveled all together from place to place as the Lord commanded. They camped at Rephidim (ref-i-deem) -- a resting place, but there was no water for the people to drink. So they turned against Moses and started arguing with him. Congregation : “Give us water to drink.” Moses : “Why do you bicker with me? Why are you testing the Lord?” Narrator : But the people were very thirsty, so they grumbled against Moses. Congregation : “Why on earth did you bring us out of Egypt? Did you bring us out here so that we, and our children, and our cattle will all die without water?” Moses : “Lord, what can I do with these people? They are ready to kill me.” The Lord : “Go before t

Junior High Snow Camp

The last weekend in January, Abby and I attended Junior High Snow camp at Rocky Mountain Mennonite Camp. Mennonite Church of the Servant was the only church that managed to bring 100% of our Jr Youth. We combined with Bethel College Mennonite Church and Zion Mennonite Church to help make the sponsor numbers per gender work out. The 14 of us rode on a charter bus organized by Whitestone in Hesston. All 56 seats were occupied. This gave our Kansan kids--many of whom know each other from Mennoscah-- a 10 hour opportunity to connect before camp. Overall, retreat attendance was around 90 youth and sponsors-- roughly ⅔ Kansans and ⅓ Coloradans. A few takeaways from the trip: I thoroughly enjoyed the bus ride to camp. Upon arrival, I told my friend how much I love middle-schoolers and that surely there is something wrong with me. Electronic devices were allowed on the bus, but completely banned during our mountain time--there’s no reception or wifi anyway. I did not hear a single compl